Data, Functional Programming, Distributed Systems
- Expert at functional programming and API design. I have been building systems and libraries (almost exclusively) in Scala since 2008. I am very comfortable with Typelevel libraries like cats, cats-effect, or fs2. I have coached and mentored many engineers over the years.
- Skilled at designing distributed systems. I have extensive experience building high-volume HTTP APIs, data processing pipelines, and micro-services. I have worked with various data technologies such as Postgresql, Mysql, Cassandra, Kafka, or Spark.
- Deep expertize with all things data, from data modeling to data processing and data APIs. I have a keen interest in linking data across datasets and for ontology design. I help organizations organize their data as shareable knowledge. Expert at designing and federating GraphQL APIs.
- Experienced with and not afraid of dealing with legacy systems and codebases.
- Excellent communicator, comfortable giving public talks as well as presentations to senior leadership or non-technical people. I have extensive experience writing and collaborating on technical standards and design documents. I have practical experience of working cross-functionally with non-technical collaborators, ranging from project managers to product managers and creatives.
- Jan 2022 - ongoing
Netflix • Los Gatos, CA
Senior Software Engineer - Data Platform
Member of the Data Discovery team for the Netflix Data Platform, enabling users/clients to interact with the platform capabilities and find relevant assets.
- Led initiative to federate the Data Platform APIs into the Enterprise GraphQL gateway.
- Maintained, migrated, and federated domain graph services for workflow orchestration and notebooks into the Enterprise GraphQL gateway.
- Maintains the GraphQL Search service for the Data Platform.
- Mar 2015 - Jan 2022
Apple • Cupertino, CA
Software Engineering Manager - Apple Media Products
Led the engineering team building the platform for AMP (Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Podcast, …)
to move its legacy infrastructure to Kubernetes across multiple clouds. Also managed secrets and identity services.
Senior Data Engineer - Fraud Engineering, Algorithms, Risk
Data engineer supporting data scientists through better tooling.
- Maintained our timeseries library for aggregating data in streaming+batch jobs, and for querying models in realtime services.
- Reduced time-to-market for onboarding new Spark jobs from days to minutes.
- Built highly scalable regex-based filtering engine for Spark.
- Implemented GDPR requirements for Fraud's infrastructure.
Staff Engineer - Marcom
Involved in everything data for apple.com in Apple’s Worldwide Marketing Communications.
Single-handedly and dramatically improved apple.com's SEO posture.
- Feb 2014 - Feb 2015
Pellucid makes a tablet- and browser-based software solution for data visualizations.
Senior Software Engineer
Started on the data team and later moved to the vizualization team.
- Jul 2009 - Feb 2014
The W3C is an international consortium that develops open
standards to ensure the long-term growth of the Web.
Software and System Engineer
I was part of the W3C Systems Team where
I led the development of a unified platform for the W3C validators and
participated (editor, team contact, software engineer) in various RDF and Linked Data Working Groups.
- May 2008 - Jul 2009
Atos is an international IT services company.
I worked for the French National Library on their digital library
and preservation project SPAR.
- Implemented data transformation pipelines, from data modeling in RDF to SPARQL queries using Virtuoso.
- Typical Java stack: Maven, J2EE, Spring.
- Sep 2007 - Apr 2008
Entropic-Synergies is a web-agency specialized in social games.
Implemented white-label products to be licensed to various Websites.
- Mar 2006 - Sep 2007
INRIA • Saclay, France
INRIA is the French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control.
I was researching certified compilers for synchronous languages à la Lustre using the Coq proof assistant.
I was also teaching Computer Science and Networks at Telecom ParisTech, IFIPS, University of Paris XI, and University of Paris VII.